Re: README - confusing, irrelevant, redundant, useless

Scripsit "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org>
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 02:18:39AM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

> ...a lot of wise things...

> I have to agree.  So how to proceed?  File minor bugs against
> README files, that contain predominantly useless information?

What other way would there be to proceed?

Go ahead and file bugs. With patches. And perhaps an explanation
of why a README in the .deb is not required and, if it exists, is not
required to equal upstream's.

When a few dozen of your patches have made it to sid, condense your
experience into a well-reasoned, not too long, best practices summary
which acknowledges that maintainer discretion is still required for
many things, and offer it for inclusion in the Developer's Reference.

--
Henning Makholm                             "... and that Greek, Thucydides"