Re: remove ruby1.6

Hi Akira,

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:24:05PM +0900, akira yamada / やまだあきら wrote:
> Nico Golde wrote:
> > Do you have an idea how many of them are packaged with
> > 1.8 too?

> The following source packages generate binary packages
> for ruby1.6 only:

Thanks for this list.  It appears that the following packages can be removed
from testing/unstable with no ill effects, since they have no
reverse-dependencies outside of this set:

>   drb (*)
>   erb (*)
>   libmutexm-ruby (*)
>   libnet-acl-ruby (*)
>   libopenssl-ruby (*)
>   liboptparse-ruby (*)
>   ruby-eserver (*)
>   soap4r (*)
>   xmlrpc4r (*)
>   testunit (*)
>   webrick (*)

Is there any reason not to file for immediate removal of these packages?  If
not, could the maintainers please do this?

The next packages have other reverse-dependencies which prevent their
removal from testing; some of them are the applications that are listed at
the bottom, included in your original list of ruby1.6-only packages:

>   gnome-ruby

Used by tictactoe, rsjog, and mhc-utils; should be ported to gnome2-ruby, I
guess?

>   libiconv-ruby (*)

Needed by dnsdoctor and zonecheck, which presumably also need porting to
ruby1.8.

>   racc (*)

Needs rdtool and libtmail-ruby updated to be ruby1.8-only before it can be
removed from testing, but could be removed from unstable at any time.

>   libstrscan-ruby (*)

Used by aswiki.  The packages amrita and rdtool would also need to drop
their ruby1.6 support before this package could be removed from testing.

>   libyaml-ruby (*)

Needed by dnsdoctor, zonecheck, and sisu.

>   libzlib-ruby (*)

The libzip-ruby package needs to drop its ruby1.6 support before this
package could be removed from testing.  In addition, debpartial depends on
libzlib-ruby (>= 0.5.1-1); this package probably needs to be rebuilt to drop
this dependency?

Finally, there are the application packages, which would need to be ported
to ruby1.8 (or at least, updated to use ruby1.8 instead of ruby1.6):

>   aswiki
>   riece
>   rsjog
>   tdiary
>   tictactoe

> Riece (riece-google and riece-rdcc) depends on
> ruby1.6 or ruby1.8.

> I don't know about aswiki, rsjog, tdiary (tdiary-plugin)
> and tictactoe.  (I use tDiary on ruby1.8 and I have no problem.)

Have the maintainers of these packages been contacted directly about
switching to ruby1.8?

Cheers,