Re: Fedora Directory Server port to Debian ?

Hi,

> > > Is somebody working on porting/packaging FDS to Debian?
>
> > http://bugs.debian.org/315297
>
> Bad package description.  It tells me something I don't care about (namely
> the acronym expansion of LDAP) and none of the things I do care about (why
> would I want this package rather than some other directory server).

As with many RFPs, it seems to have just been ripped from upstream.

> > As far as I can tell, there is no-one packaging it yet, feel free to
> > contribute, I imagine that it would be good to have this in debian.
>
> Out of curiousity, why?  I can't think of any reason to run FDS when we
> already have OpenLDAP, having had the experience of dealing with FDS's
> technological predecessor.  Is it just the multi-master replication that
> people are interested in?

Comparison:
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FAQ#How_is_Fedora_Directory_Server_different_from_OpenLDAP.3F
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Features

I guess that would be a question for Maykel Moya and Ryan Lovett :)
What is your reason for preferring FDS over OpenLDAP?

Other reason is the marketing buzz surrounding FDS - "debian doesn't
have the oh-so-great and recently freed FDS, oh well, looks like we use
fedora". Also, see the last paragraph of this:

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/22/1543207&from=rss

> (Whatever the answer is, assuming there is some compelling feature not
> found in OpenLDAP, it should go into the package description.)

Indeed.

--
bye,
pabs