Re: Usability: Technical details in package descriptions?

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:08:22 -0500, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> said:

> Peter Samuelson writes:
>> There is no need for dumbing down descriptions for things
>> non-technical users aren't going to be selecting anyway.

> One can be a highly technical user of a package without knowing (or
> caring) squat about the language it is implemented in.  Descriptions
> should focus on the domain of application.

        Why should we only cater to a subset of selection criteria
 that we deem "proper"? What is wrong with  having clear description
 of the domain of the application _and_  technical factes as well, so
 that we cater to all possible users, not just those who are deemed
 "kosher" by the powers that be?

 ps: presenting technical facets may well be done by presenting
 debtags information, but, lacking that, the description has been
 traditionally used to do so
Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national
debt. Herbert Hoover