Re: ignoring upstream's version number?

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El dom, 31-07-2005 a las 19:13 +0200, Harald Dunkel escribió:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>What happens if a package maintainer ignores upstream's
>>version number (either on purpose, or by accident, e.g.
>>a typo)? Is this allowed?
>

>  If it is done on purpose and for a given reason, it can be perfectly
> valid. If not, you can consider that a bug, as usually package should
> have the same version than upstream's distributed sources.

And how is this going to be fixed? The broken version
number might be much higher than upstream's version
number. AFAIK there is no way to turn it back, is it?

The package I have in mind (fvwm) introduced a broken
version number

	2.5.130.CVS.2005.07.19.01-1

instead of

	2.5.13-0.CVS.2005.07.19.01-1

Creating a bug report (#319386) did not help.

Regards

Harri