Re: *.la dependency_libs and -dev deps

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 12:55:51PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  I tried following the thread on libtool and -dev inter-dependencies,
>  and I'd like someone to confirm the way to go (a summary of the SUMMARY
>  thread would be nice :).

>  What I'm currently doing right now is adding -dev dependencies on -dev
>  packages for each "-l" in dependency_libs.

>  I'm currently not paying attention to "*.la" in dependency_libs.

>  Is that correct?

No, it's backwards.  If an application is linking against your library using
libtool, all of the .la files your own library references *must* be
available at build-time, even if doing dynamic linking.  The packages
providing the "-l" libs are *not* required for normal operation, but they
are required if you intend to support static linking or linking with a
broken version of libtool.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer