Re: BTS version tracking

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:45:03PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:34:23PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > What if the maintainer uploads a version, say 1.3-2 (which is still the
> > most recent version), which supposedly fixes bug 1234567.  However, I
> > test it and find that it's actually not fixed.  Presumably, I would do:
> >
> >   found 1234567 1.3-2
> >
> > However, since 1.3-2 is equal to the current version, the BTS would
> > erroneously think that the bug is fixed.  That does seem to match
> > reality:
> >
> >   http://bugs.debian.org/316089
>
> Yes, this is a bug in version tracking: it's a canonicalisation problem
> between various internal representations of versions in debbugs,
> reported as bug #319037. Fortunately I don't think it's *too* hard to
> solve ...

This should now be fixed, and fortunately only a few bugs were bitten by
this. I've repaired them.

There may still be a few broken corner cases in the case of packages
that have used dpkg-gencontrol's -v switch to produce binary packages
with a different version from their source package (which is where most
of the really hairy corner cases in version tracking show up). Please
report these if you run across them.

Cheers,