Re: Mass-filing bugs based on piuparts?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:41:10PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I'm running piuparts, my package installation, upgrading, and removal
> tester, against etch. It takes a while, and produces a fairly large
> number of error logs that need to be investigated manually. This
> sometimes reveals a bug in piuparts, and sometimes in the package, or a
> depency of the package.
>
> When there are problems in packages, I would like to file bugs. This is
> potentially a large number of bugs, up to hundreds. I want to file them
> one by one, not all at once, since it will take weeks or months to go
> through the entire archive. A few bugs a day, in other words, not
> hundreds all at once.
>
> I will verify the existence of every bug manually, and will attempt to
> use the best possible taste in deciding whether something is a bug in
> the package or not. For this first run, I will concentrate on the clear
> cases: if a package leaves /usr/bin/foo on the filesystem after purging,
> it is pretty clearly a bug.
>
> Is this acceptable to everyone? Suggestions on how to do this better?

I say "Go ahead!".  I suggest you start with our base system; hopefully
it's already correct, but you never know, and fixing such bugs as early
in the release cycle as possible is important.  Also, branch packages
(for instance perl/php/python/apache/mysql) seems more important to
test at an early stage than leaf packages (applications that use those
packages).

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //