Re: Usability: Technical details in package descriptions?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:12:41AM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Especially for cases like where some research is necessary to find out
> what the package actually does.  Some randomly chosen examples where
> the function of the package is not clear to me from reading the

I looked through several hundred descriptions now.
Most of them really seem to fixable within a reasonable
amount of time.

The largest group of non-typo style problems seems to be long
descriptions which are not useful on its own.  Examples:

  bnlib1:
    Assembly language routines are used to make this library very fast.

  initscripts:
    These scripts are meant for standard Debian/GNU/Linux installations.

  ld.so.preload-manager
    This script is written to be used with the installation of libsafe, but
    perhaps it could prove itself useful for more things ;)

  trr19:
    This is just a beta version.
    .
    Trr19 won't work with XEmacs.

All of these do not fit the following policy clause very well.

     The extended description should describe what the package does and how
     it relates to the rest of the system (in terms of, for example, which
     subsystem it is which part of).

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--