Re: aspell upgrade woes

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:28:22AM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:

> Christ, not another one. Is there any sort of automated way that we can
> check for these sorts of libraries before messing things up again?

Theoretically libraries should export only the symbols of their public
API, and such a check could be done by looking for C++-mangled names in
the list of exported symbols.

Practically libraries tend to be rather lousy and also export a lot of
internal symbols so you have to manually check if those symbols are
meant to be public or not (and if not then are there any applications
that use them regardless).

For example, both libaspell15 and libglu1-xorg export a lot of C++
symbols that are not meant to be part of the public API...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences