Re: debian mentors & ubuntu

Hi, Nico...

I'm not reading debian-devel for two days and now this. ;)

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:21:09PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> why is mentors.debian.net powered by Ubuntu?

mentors.debian.net is work in progress. As we are working on an
improvement of the import process (that analyses the uploaded packages
and moves them into the repository pool structure) and web interface we
needed software versions (e.g. Postgresql) that were not available in
Woody at that time.

Unfortunatly Sarge was not a choice for us either since our machine is
under permanent attack and has already once been hacked due to an
unfixed bug in a forum software. So we needed something more stable.
Since Ubuntu had released a stable version thus supplying us with
security updates we chose to use that until Sarge is released.

Now that Sarge is stable it's on my to do list to reinstall the server
on Sarge.

mentors.debian.net is not sponsored by Ubuntu nor am I on on the payroll
of Mark Shuttleworth. ;) I had donated the server which is currently
running at my place (until we find a new decent ISP in my area to
run it at). I hope this clears the confusion up a bit.

Good to hear that people still care about it though. :)

Cheers
 Christoph
--
~