Re: shared library -dev package naming proposal

Hi,

> * Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:
> > I'd like to propose, for new -dev packages, to
> > name -dev packages after their runtime library counterparts.
>
> Uh, no?  The -dev packages have no need to match to a specific runtime
> library and this just creates unnecessary work.

Well, I will list the rationale; it might have been a bit
of an abrupt mail for those who did not attend today's talk.

1. usually -dev packages have a symlink to the shared library
contained in the runtime shared library package.

2. The information of -dev packages depending on other -dev packages
cannot be automatically determined currently;
it should be possible to obtain a minimal list by analyzing the
NEEDED field of the objdump output.

3. d-shlibs provides an infrastracture for generating devlibs:Depends
for debian/control, but it has a long sed rule for replacing -dev
package names; it shoulnd't really neeed them.

4. I'm only requesting NEW packages to come under this naming
scheme, we'll try to cover the old packages with some kind of sed
script or replacement rule.

regards,
	junichi