Re: multiarch?

On 08/07/05, Nikita V. Youshchenko <yoush@cs.msu.su> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:03:09PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >> Le Jeu 7 Juillet 2005 21:17, Josselin Mouette a ?crit :
> >>
> >> I hope not ... I'm a quite happy owner of amd64 machines, so happy that
> >> I've only amd64 machines for my desktops, and maintaining a chroot to
> >> use openoffice is quite annoying (same is true for quake/et but I
> >> assume it won't bother debian that much ;p)
> >
> > Wouldn't you be better off with a native Oo.org rather than multiarch
> > in this case?
> World is not pure 64.
> There exists software - and will exist in forseable future - which (a) is
> needed for users, and (b) is not available 64bit.
> Although some hacks are possible to make it run - such as 32bit chroot or
> putting stuff in /emul - hacks have never been the Debian way. Debian was
> known for years for it's technical quality, and it's a suicide solution to
> make this no longer true.
> Multiarch, although being some technical challenge, is an elegant solution
> for this situation. And it is useful for all archs which have hardware
> capability to run both 64 bit and 32 bit binaries (and also for those who
> wish to run non-native binaries with emulation techniques such as qemu)
> What real reasons (other than "it's cool") are there to run 64bit software?
> - in some cases, it gives real (greater than 1%) performance gain.
> - in some cases, address space wider than 32bit is useful.
I have also noticed that some applications when built, are smaller.

Also, why not lobby some of these non pure software makers to also
create pure-amd64/pure-*64 builds of their software.

However, in the end, I see no problem with pure 64bit distributions,
the one i'm on currently works better than great.  Personally, I'd
sooner see a chroot-32 package that will let install a working 32bit
chroot, and then let me apt-get install openoffice... to that
location.  That way, we are still talking about been user friendly and
we are affecting only the applications that won't run on pure 64bit

My 2 cents,

N Jones
Blogging @ http://nigelj.blogspot.com
Proud Debian & FOSS User
Debian Maintainer of: html2ps & ipkungfu