Re: multiarch?

Le Jeu 7 Juillet 2005 21:17, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> Le jeudi 07 juillet 2005 à 13:04 +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko a
écrit :
> > Hello.
> >
> > Are multiarch ideas alive?
> > Do they have any future in Debian?
>
> I was going to ask the same question ;)
>
> If we don't start the multiarch effort now, it won't be good for
> etch. Are we postponing this to the next release?

I hope not ... I'm a quite happy owner of amd64 machines, so happy that
I've only amd64 machines for my desktops, and maintaining a chroot to
use openoffice is quite annoying (same is true for quake/et but I
assume it won't bother debian that much ;p)

More seriously, with the popularity of amd64 and emt64 enabled PIV,
there will be quite a big number of machines that would need such
multiarch. and waiting for etch does not seems like a valid option,
especially if etch isn't ready in the year (which seems not really
sensible/possible/...<put your reason here>).

IMHO, either amd64/pure64/... will become a release arch and in that
case we have to have a solution for multiarch, either amd64 is not a
released arch .. and that bothers me.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit