Re: Shared library versioning

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:54:15AM +0200, Alexis Papadopoulos wrote:
> Thanks for that one,

> the thing is that the upstream author is using libtool which has a somehow
> "special" versioning method. Apparently when the library's interface changes
> in a way backwards-compatibility is broken, the major (what they call
> current) version must be incremented.

> I will have to discuss this with him because it means that some changes have
> to made. But isn't this versioning issue a headache ? I mean, if your sources
> compile a library and some binaries linked against it, you have to maintain 2
> version informations : the sources' version and the library's one. Up until
> now the upstream author simply used a VERSION file that was incremented
> "automagically" before CVS commit. Now he must to keep a second version info
> for the library that he must supervise manually in case of
> backwards-incompatibility...

It's a single headache for the one library developer/packager, as
opposed to headaches for _every user_ of the library.

> Anyway, I will have to see with him in order to find a solution because I
> think that having a (in libtool's vocabulary) current version of 513 isn't
> really acceptable...

To be honest, there's an important factor I left out, which is that
sonames should match other releases (eg. upstream and other distros)
where possible, for cross-release binary compatibility.

You might want to have a look at the debian-mentors archives, too. I believe
this sort of thing gets discussed there on occasion, in more detail that I've
done.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.