Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:39:16PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> We already have something for that. It's called "Section: libs"
> and deborphan, and it works great.
>
> Perhaps we should just move to section libs any package which is
> useless by itself, and it's only useful in combination with others,
> much like libraries, but without requiring them to be real libraries.

That would then be an abuse of the section field. A data package is
not a lib.

How about a field (or a debtag) useless-alone, which deborphan and
aptitude and whatnot can garbage-collect when nothing depends on such
a package? That would solve the problem with Uninstall-with: foo when
another package suddenly needs the data package.

--
Petri Latvala