Re: dummy packages and "Replaces:" field

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:47:00AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         What, 239 packages out of some 16000 total? What exactly is
>  the problem? This is a miniscule number, and the disk requirements
>  for a dummy package is negligible. Now, novice users can possibly be
(...)

I guess your count is based on 'apt-cache search dummy'. Sorry,
unfortunately that will not provide you with a full list for several
reasons:

1.- there are packages that include 'dummy' in their description which are
not provided for transitional reasons (i.e. java-common)

2.- there are packages labeled as dummy that are in fact used to track
versioned packages (i.e. libapache-mod-python). Users should not remove
these, they are not transitional packages either.

3.- there are dummy packages which do not use 'dummy' in their description
but use something else instead (look at zope-tinytable or try searching
for 'transitional').

One of the main problems looking for these packages is that there is no
standard _description_ for them. That makes it difficult for us to find and
clean them between releases [1] and for system administrators to find which
ones are present in their system and remove them after an upgrade.

Regards

Javier

[1] I did a 'dummy' hunt before sarge which resulted in some dummy packages
being removed from sarge which were created to ease potato->woody upgrades!