Re: dummy packages and "Replaces:" field

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:38:34PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On 6/23/05, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> > OK.  How would I make use of this.  I was going to adopt iceme and
> > icepref, but then I saw that they are abandoned upstream.  They have
> > become modules of IceWMCP.  I am going to package IceWMCP with the
> > intent that it replace iceme and icepref.
> >
> > Someone recommended that I use dummy packages of iceme and icepref that
> > depend on icewmcp.  But, if I also make icewmcp Replace and Conflict
> > with iceme and icepref, will that not cause problems (since the new
> > dummy versions of iceme and icepref will depend on icewmpc)?
>
> Well, of course, you cannot adopt both methods.  Either you use the
> dummy package method or you use the Replace and Conflict method.

Right.  However, what I would like is to be able to do it *without*
using dummy packages.  I think that what I want is not possible without
dummy packages.  That is where I see a problem.  The current
Replaces/Conflicts mechanism doesn't handle it all well.  I agree a
change that makes it work more elegantly would be nice.  It would also
help to eliminate a number of dummy and transitional packages that exist
for no other reason than to be a hacky work around for replacement of
obselete packages.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez