Re: ftp-master, ftp and db .debian.org moving - hosting sought

* Thijs Kinkhorst (kink@squirrelmail.org) wrote:
> On Wed, June 22, 2005 11:36, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > I think the point is that we ask for a donation before we spend money
> > on it.
>
> Sure, but the statement quoted above rules it out entirely. "can't pay" is
> pretty definitive. I'm wondering why it's that certain that we can't pay
> for it.

Based on the requirements it seems unlikely Debian would be able to
afford to pay for hosting very long with our current donation income
amounts.  Gigabit network connections and associated rack space is
cheaper than it used to be but aiui Debian hasn't got all that much
cash.  From a bit of googleing what I've seen is around $3k/month
for unmetered 100Mb/s, and $10k/month for unmetered 1Gb/s and I'm not
sure those would meet the other requirements so the actual price of
something meeting all the requirements would probably be higher.

> Furthermore, actually paying for it does not create a problem like now
> where the hosting gets cancelled suddenly.

Not necessairly.  Generally you'd hope so but of course if we go with
the cheapest place we can find or get a 'deal' from some place for
being a non-profit or what-have-you then it becomes much the same
situation.

What I'd really like to see, personally, would be some place like
ibiblio or ISC hosting the servers.  Some other thoughts would be places
like MIT or CMU or places which currently host primary mirrors.  It
might make sense to approach some of these places to see if they'd be
interested since it's certainly possible they don't follow d-d-a.  Of
course, this may end up on /. in the end anyway.

I do think that if not much is heard before too long we should probably
post the call to d-a at least.

I'm kind of curious what happened w/ Above.Net since it seemed rather
sudden (perhaps it wasn't and it just seemed that way to me but there
didn't seem to be any clue what happened, so..  I'm curious :).

	Thanks,

		Stephen