Re: TODO for etch ?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:48:14AM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Darren Salt wrote:
> >I demand that Florian Weimer may or may not have written...
>
> >>Gradually skewing the clock doesn't exactly work that well if the offset
> >>exceeds a few minutes.  You don't want to run with a wrong clock for hours
> >>or even days.
>
> >Maybe ntp, ntpdate etc. should recommend adjtimex?
>
> ntp has its own sophisticated logic if skewing, but does not correct
> offsets > 500 sec (AFAIK). Having your BIOS clock at local time (e.g.
> UTC+1), then installing Linux with configuration system clock = UTC,
> will remain a falseticker. Even offsets of some minutes need a long time
> to be corrected by ntp.

That's not really true, it's just the default configuration.

Actually the default configuration in Debian is pretty sucky. It
assumes that ntp is used in combination with ntpdate - but ntp
upstream is of the considered opinion that this is a bad plan.

Nowadays, I always change it to add the -g option to ntpd (disabling
the 1000s limit) and the iburst option to the config file (causes ntpd
to sync up in seconds when it starts up, instead of hours, before
entering normal operation).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |