Re: Greylisting for @debian.org email, please

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 18-Jun-05, 17:24 (CDT), Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
> >
> > An email address with such blocking on it is therefore not suitable
> > for the Maintainer: field of a Debian package.
>
> Any spam filtering system is going to have *some* false positives.

Indeed.

> Are you claiming that if I do *any* spam filtering on the address
> listed in my packages, it is not suitable?

I wonder the same. Apparently, receiving tons of spam is not our only
duty as package maintainers, it seems we are also forced to *read* it
to be "good maintainers"...

Thomas: If you send me a message which is "spammy" in nature (for
whatever definition my bayesian filter has of "spammy") and it's
stored in my spam folder, it is very likely that I will not read it,
and you will never know that the message landed in my spam folder.

At least using a good DNSBL like the CBL would clearly tell the sender
(if it's a human) that the message will not be read, since the message
is rejected at SMTP stage.