Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Eric Dorland wrote:
* Simon Huggins (huggie@earth.li) wrote:
I was under the impression that downstreams could call the packages
firefox as they had been blessed with official Debian penguin pee as
long as they didn't then change them and it was only when they were
modified that they potentially had to go to the Mozilla Foundation for a
license.

That is correct, but (correct me if I'm wrong Gerv), but "change"
would include such things as recompiling it.

As I was saying earlier in the thread, what we'd probably do is say that they could make changes within the terms of the trademark policy - possibly the Community Edition rules, which allow for recompilation and limited change. We can certainly discuss the extent of such rights; what we can't agree to is giving them unlimited rights, or even rights as extensive as Debian's or Red Hat's or another trusted distributor's without them proving themselves worthy of such trust.

Gerv