Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 10:09:06AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Christian Perrier

> | > Again, do not mess with cultures you do not understand.
> |
> | Do you have real examples?

> IRC.  An example is the current irssi in Debian which doesn't do
> recoding between different locales.  (And that is needed, since IRC
> doesn't have a charset concept and there are still loads and loads of
> users out there with clients which interpret everything as Latin1.)

I'm not clear how this is an argument against UTF-8 by default...?

The charset of your terminal is orthogonal to the charset you're
talking on the IRC network with to my mind, since even the built-in
recode support lets you set a default charset for IRC traffic.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.