Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

* Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:48:55AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > * Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) wrote:
> > > Where possible, sure. But "principles" doesn't mean "the rules should be
> > > exactly the same".
> >
> > Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that the rules
> > should necessarily be the same. But I am of the opinion that the
> > spirit of DFSG #8 should apply.
>
> To trademarks? Why? I don't see why that would be necessary, or even a
> good idea; but I'm sure I can be convinced given good arguments.

It's a question of fairness, which I think is embodied by DFSG
#8. We're getting this offer from MoFo because, I think, we are
Debian. We're big and we're cool, there's no denying it :) But other
entities, equally deserving of the trademark usage from a quality
standpoint won't get it because MoFo doesn't care about them. That
isn't fair, and I don't think Debian should play if rules aren't known
or aren't applied fairly. It's hubris to think we're more deserving
than others.

> [...]
> > > We will distribute things that have a copyright licence which is
> > > actively enforced. All of the GNU stuff, for example.
> >
> > Come on, we distribute things with actively enforced copyrights that
> > have DFSG licenses, not just anything.
>
> I didn't say that. Please stop putting words in my mouth ;-P
>
> What I meant was, "there exists software whose copyright is being
> actively envorced that we distribute".
>
> > > The two are, again, completely different beasts. The same is true for
> > > trademark licenses, and I don't see why a requirement to rename it
> > > unless given permission (which, as it happens, Debian has gotten) is
> > > wrong.
> >
> > If we accept it, we've made a Debian-specific deal to distribute that
> > software. Is that acceptable? I don't believe it is.
>
> Why not? I've seen you say that quite a few times in this thread, but I
> really don't see what your problem is, sorry. Could you try to explain?

I've explained above.

> > > DFSG#8 _cannot_ be applied to trademarks. Due to the nature of trademark
> > > law, the Mozilla Foundation _cannot_ give a blanket permission to call
> > > firefox anything deriving even a slight bit of code from the Debian
> > > packages; if they did that, they would lose their trademark. It's as
> > > simple as that.
> >
> > Sure it can. Mozilla could have a trademark policy that says "If your
> > build of Firefox meets conditions X, Y, Z, you can use our
> > trademark". Anyone is free to meet those conditions.
>
> Such a policy would require quite a lot of work, and carries with it far
> greater risks for the licensor.
>
> If you create a copyright license that requires you to meet condition X,
> Y, and Z before people are allowed to use it, and someone finds a
> loophole in your license that would allow them to use the software while
> following the letter, but not the spirit of the license, then the worst
> that can happen to you is that people are allowed to use that version of
> your program in ways you did not intend them to. For the next version,
> however, you can change the license, closing the loophole, and all is
> well again. That's a problem, but there is a fix.
>
> With a trademark policy like that, if people find a loophole in your
> trademark policy, they might suddenly be allowed to use the trademark
> for things you did not intend them to, and you might have lost the
> rights to your trademark.
>
> This is a serious problem, and there would appear to be no fix.
>
> In that light, I don't think it's unreasonable for trademark owners to
> make the rules governing their trademark be stricter than the rules
> governing their code. IANAL, however.

IANAL either, but why wouldn't the change in trademark policy apply
retroactively to the current users of the trademark?

> Note also that Debian is not about Free Trademarks, it is about Free
> Software. There's a difference.
>
> > Other projects do this with their trademarks.
>
> Do you have examples?

I've gotten lost in the snipping. What examples are you looking for?

> > But the mozilla
>
> I think you left an end unfinished here...

I'm not sure what I was trying to finish there, probably best
ignored.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com