Re: ~ in package versions

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:00:43AM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> > I just wanted to confirm my recollection that now that stable has been released
> > with support for ~ in package versions in dpkg and apt, we can now use ~ in
> > package versions for upload to the Debian archive.
>
> > Is this right, or have I misremembered?
>
> It was that such package versions could not be used *before* sarge released,
> not that they would be supported immediately *after* the release; the change
> has not yet been made to make this possible for etch.

Namely, as you told me on irc, that dak uses ~ internally as a separator; this
obviously conflicts with dpkg's use of it in versions.

So, to those wondering, this is more than just removing some simple
forbiddince check.  It also requires not just completely allowing it; ~ can
only be allowed for uploads into testing and unstable.