Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:50:44PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:20:57AM -0300, Humberto Massa Guimarães wrote:
> > You're free to make /any/ modifications to firefox, as long as you
> > either rename it to something else or get permission to call it firefox.
> > Doesn't sound non-free to me.
> Please explain to me why it's alright to get special permission to use
> a trademark but not ok for a software license?

As I explained in another mail:

The fact that the risks for errors in trademark licensing are far
greater. You might entirely lose your trademark with one lawsuit; you
will not lose your ownership of the copyright on one software program
with one lawsuit.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond