Re: Question regarding 'offensive' material

> ke, 2005-06-15 kello 12:51 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt kirjoitti:
>> There's no technical problem in the program per se. It's just that
>> this one person may find it contains "sexually inappropriate imagery".

A recurring problem. There's no limit to what people can be offended
about. I could be offended by some passages in the bible (e.g. advocating
the killing of homosexuals), but I see this in its context (it was written
in the middle ages) and thus make no fuss about it if I would accidentally
read it.

Unfortunately people that are easily offended will always exist, even by
simple human body parts displayed in a very abstract manner (more abstract
than the pictures in any sexual education book). So we have to do
something about it, because it's a given. I was thinking that maybe
debtags would provide a solution. You can invent a tag "contains remote
references to natural reproduction" and anyone can use that to filter out
unwanted packages.

Regarding the specific subject of screensavers:

On Wed, June 15, 2005 13:32, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> * Don't install any screensaver modules whatsoever, except one that
> shows a blank screen and turns off the monitor after a while.
>
> * All other modules go into a separate package with a warning that they
> are evil.
>
> * Work on getting suspend-to-disk (swsusp or whatever) working properly

This is the most wise contribution to any recent screensaver discussion in
Debian! I wholly support this plan, please do.

Thijs