Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Humberto Massa Guimarães <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> wrote:
>>No. This is not what free software is about ("only modifiying the
>>package in ways similar to Debian"). We should do the hard work
>>(strip the trademarks) so the community can benefit from our
>>already-stripped mozillas and do whatever it wants with them. This
>>seems to be more like the Debian Way to me.
> I agree that doing the work to make the trademarks removable serves our
> users, but how does *us* removing the trademarks benefit freedom or our
> users? They end up with exactly the same rights whether we remove them
> or not.

I agree. The only difference would be that it would not be as tempting or easy
for downstream users to infringe MF trademarks by accident. Anyway, should
debian care for that?

 GPG messages preferred.   |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 Alexander Sack            | : :' :      The  universal
 asac@jwsdot.com           | `. `'      Operating System
 http://www.asoftsite.org  |   `-    http://www.debian.org/