Re: cogito no longer conflicts with git or cgvg

"Joe Smith" <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > The upstream folks are planning to split cogito and git into two separate
> > packages.  I requested (and they seemed to agree) that they change the
> > package name from git to something else before then.  Hopefully they'll
> > see the light and try to play nice with the rest of the world.
> >
> Hmm... It looks to me like git is already a seperate package.
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/

It does look like that, and in a way you're right.  Linus maintains the
"mainline" git, and Pasky maintains cogito.  Two separate packages.
However, cogito includes its own version of git.  Usually these days,
cogito's git is a recent copy of Linus' git.

Sometimes, development of cogito exposes bugs or shortcomings in git,
and the cogito people patch cogito's git, and the patches later make it
in to Linus' git (or they dont).  This was an especially convenient setup
when both git and cogito were evolving very rapidly, in April and May.
Things are starting to stabilize now (they're talking about git 1.0),
so version skew is becoming less of an issue.  It is expected that
Pasky will quit distributing his own version of git with cogito soon,
and then I'll need to package Linus' git for Debian.

Make sense?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky