Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Friday 10 June 2005 09:58, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Since d-i currently puts the initrd that reads the second floppy (or
> other USB media) on the boot floppy with the kernel, we either have to
> shoehorn that initrd, which is currently 644k, onto the same floppy,
> reducing its size by 414k somehow.

Why not use a USB flash device for booting?  All the recent machines I've
tried have booted from a 64M USB device which gives plenty of space for such
things.  Older machines would be restricted to booting from CD-ROM.

A combination of USB flash storage for the rare new machines that don't have
CD/DVD drives and CD-ROM for older machines will cater for the vast majority
of machines that are out there.

New laptops tend to ship without floppy drives and desktop machines will
surely follow soon.  Plans for future hardware support should not involve
floppy disks.