Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

    >> Add to the list of daemon related features the "not start
    >> daemons by default" and wait for the admin to define which ones
    >> to start from /etc/defaults or whatever.

    Matthew> Jesus, meet policy-rc.d.

Not all packages use/support this.

Most recent example I have personally identified is udev (when
creating a Debian system using a script in a chroot, the script
couldn't unmount the partition when it was finished, because udev was
running and had mounted additional filesystems - the only solution I
could come up with was to stop the daemon in the chroot before
unmounting the file-system).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>