Re: TODO for etch ?

On Saturday 11 June 2005 00:56, Adam Majer wrote:
> Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> >Since I can't find such a list, I'll try to write (a beginning of) one.
> >
> >- Complete transition to g++ 3.4/4.0 ABI
> >- Resolve FDL issue
> >- Get Xorg and KDE 3.4 into the archive. [as time passes, the version
> > number may change]
> >- (?) multiarch
>
> I'm not sure about multiarch, but the following will most likely happen,
>     * Amd64 port officially added,
>     * The "scc" archive split to lighten load on mirrors for stuff that
> only needs one or two mirrors anyway,

Then you can have it other way (instead of having scc arches, have scc
mirrors). If there is enough man & buildd power & users (remember that human
help and hardware donations have being proposed many times) for an arch
currently supported then you can have second class mirrors (partial ones) and
first class ones carrying all arches. In fact I think that it is not a rare
situation where the primary country mirror really doesn't carry all arches,
but there are other mirrors which track them all. Here is an example with the
primary / but partial / ftp.bg.debian.org (debian-cd just x86) [1] and
ftp.uni-sofia.bg (a secondary one tracking all arches, including full
debian-cd, debian-amd64, debian-volatile, and this is not just for fun and
completeness). There is also at least one secondary one. So I'm afraid that
your decision based on currently primary mirrors not tracking all arches for
various reasons could be broken source for generalizations. I'm also sure
that this is not a single example that could be given. If the Debian Project
decides to cut some arches, then you wont wait a lot to see various external
and unofficial archives like:
debian-$scc-for-Debian-but-supported-by-<anyone>

[1]http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/d-i_scc_ready_already-2005-05-18-23-47.html

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <danchev.fccf.net/key pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint    1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB