Re: automated updates of debian/changelog considered harmful

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:11:37AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > [ If you do not believe this, visit buildd.debian.org and see the
> >   build logs for the lifelines package, for example ].
>
> I am in the process of fixing this, thanks for reporting.
>
> However, I am completely sure that this did not went into the package
> by accident and I was certainly misguided by some documentation to do
> so in this package (on poedit as well, by the way).

Older versions of autotools-dev had such crap in it.  It has been fixed
to be much more reasonable and any changelog-messing stuff removed with
extreme prejudice for a while, now.

Nowadays, the recommended way to update config.sub/guess is transparent,
Debian-specific (but friendly to any sort of upstream config.sub/guess
usage pattern), version-control friendly, and also non-.diff-bloating.

> So, this maybe deserves some mention in the developers reference...

Please have a look on current autotools-dev readme, and tell me what
else to change there...