Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On 2005 June 07 Tuesday 06:09, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 09:26, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:10:13 +0200, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > Another item that might be worth considering for laptops is a
> > > networking equivalent of the pmount group.  People in these groups
> > > would be allowed to edit the network files (in particular
> > > /etc/network/interfaces) and bring interfaces up and down.
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Hood
>
> Having downloaded NetworkManager I see that there are two things that
> I need that it does not do.  Firstly it currently requires DHCP, and while
> that is fine for networks I control, others may not have it and do I need
> the ability to define static data which this does not give me.

Well, NetworkManager needs backends for each distro to parse their config
files - on RH/Fedora systems it uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*,
which might just map to /etc/network/interfaces on Debian. Apparently
NetworkManager just uses those settings, for the most part. If you have an
interface set up to use static IPs it should just work.

Dan isn't sure what the state of the Debian backend is, but he mentioned that
Tom Parker has submitted some Debian-related patches for NM in the past.

> Secondly as far as I can see currently this is integrated into GNOME, but
> not KDE.  While obviously I can run a GNOME app under KDE part of the
> point of an app like this is its menu applet, and unless something changed
> recently GNOME applets do not run under KDE.

I've had conversations with Dan about this. He's told me that it would be
"entirely possible" to create a KDE frontend to the NetworkManager core.
NetworkManager itself (not the applet, just the daemon) only requires hal,
dbus and glib. Back in February a KDE developer expressed interest in doing
this, but nothing seems to have materialized. In any case, Dan has offered
his help "with any questions or architectural stuff if needed".

The applet itself, he says, might be difficult as it uses two threads - one
for dbus calls, and one for the animation.

I've wanted to play around with it, too, but... yeah, the laptop thing. :)

Zack