Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 08:56, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 03:21, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Planned, and ground already laid in tasksel (and indeed, it does do it
> > for some easy things like language tasks). One thing I really want to
> > see happen is a laptop task. The big missing peice is some simple
> > program tasksel can call out to, like
> >
> > if this_is_a_laptop; then
> > ..
> > fi
> >
> > This should use whatever hardware probing works best for laptops.
Another item that might be worth considering for laptops is a networking
equivalent of the pmount group.  People in these groups would be allowed
to edit the network files (in particular /etc/network/interfaces) and bring
interfaces up and down.  Obviously on servers and corporate desktops
this group would be empty or contain only system admins, but on a
laptop you have to be able to fit into the network you are presented
with and you do not want joe-user to be switching to root all the time
just in order to do these functions.

I realise that this would require fixes to a number of packages, and quite
possibly some additional code to give a graphical interface to the
/etc/networking/interfaces file would be a good idea for GUI only users
and those who might not understand the consequences of incorrectly
coded entries and need a program to do it for them.

David