Re: New Nokia device is Debian-based?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:47:50AM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> So, I take it you don't buy any products from Apple, IBM, Sony,
> etc either?

Same for Alcatel, Ericsson and Siemens, who actively support software patents in Europe :(
They all sent threat/blackmail letters to European government officials to block parliament's amendments.

Some interesting details here:
<http://swpat.ffii.org/log/03/telcos1107/index.en.html>
(and also <http://wiki.ffii.org/Navision050215En>)

922 patents (including software patents, still 'illegal' in Europe) were issued by Nokia, by the way:
<http://swpat.ffii.org/players/nokia/index.en.html>
But IBM issued much more (at least 2620, according to ffii) software patents.

Both IBM and Nokia said they won't sue open source developpers. For the moment, at least. This is the real threat, IMHO: big companies using open source for a while, and then.. killing it when they don't need it anymore.

> Well, the European Parliament is (or has at least been) strongly opposed
> to software patents, so it's unlikely that they will pass without some
> serious trickery.

I'm really pessimistic. Both council and commission are pro-swpat, and are actively lobbying to pass the directive. The parliament will have to find a global majority, or the directive will be approved. A global majority, just before summer vacation. Good luck ..