Re: where should the library go?

Steve Langasek wrote:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:42:29AM +0200, Andreas Fester wrote:

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

I am trying to package fortranposix as a debian package. The upstream is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortranposix/

After compiling it, I get a file called libfortranposix.so. I am wondering whether this library should go into /usr/lib or /usr/lib/fortranposix directory?

The library should go in /usr/lib.

Only shared libraries that declare an SONAME and use ABI versioning
belong in /usr/lib.  A library named /usr/lib/libfortranposix.so doesn't
belong in /usr/lib unless it's a symlink to libfortranposix.so.<version>.

I implied that the final package will comply with this convention :-)

Regards,

	Andreas

--
Andreas Fester