Re: where should the library go?

Hi,

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
I am trying to package fortranposix as a debian package. The upstream is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortranposix/

After compiling it, I get a file called libfortranposix.so. I am wondering whether this library should go into /usr/lib or /usr/lib/fortranposix directory?

The library should go in /usr/lib.

I read the FHS standard and even then I am unable to figure out which is a better place.

Make also sure that you read

The Debian New Maintainers Guide http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#maint-guide

The Debian Developers Reference
http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#devref

And, especially important for your situation since you are building
a library:
The Debian Library Packaging guide
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

I have collected these and some additional links at
http://littletux.homelinux.org//links.php?cat=621

Some additional hints:
- You have to divide the package in a library package and a -dev
  package.
- You said you get a file called libfortranposix.so; this is usually
  only a link provided by the -dev package which points to the actual
  library. The -dev package also contains the header files, for example.
- The actual library must have a SONAME prefix (e.g.
  libfortranposix.so.1). This file is contained in the actual
  library package.

Best Regards,

	Andreas