Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:34:02AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> George Danchev wrote:
> > Out of curiousity, is there real examples of DD's and UD's sharing common
> > revison control repo for their packaging, e.g. on alioth or at the relevant
> > ubuntu service if there is any like alioth ?
>
> Certian Ubuntu developers have commit access to the entire d-i repo, as
> well as the associated base-config and tasksel repos. If they wanted to
> do their Ubuntu-specific changes in those repos (in a branch), they
> could.

I may start doing so for at least some things, as it would make merging
easier; /people/cjwatson/automount/ is there as a start (though that's
more experimental than Ubuntu-specific). I'm not convinced about the
sanity of doing template changes that way, though; we have some
relatively clever tools for doing those merges at the moment and I'd
lose a lot of time if I had to go back to 'svn merge'. (As I've said on
debian-boot, I would rather just make translated templates not differ at
all if possible.)

I suspect that once we've got to the point where the Ubuntu-specific
changes are on average more along the lines of handling different
archive layouts than insanely voluminous translation changes, I'll feel
less like I'm bloating the d-i repository up with stuff that doesn't
benefit Debian by committing it there.