Re: how to write Build-depends argument for gfortran

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 02:52:41AM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> I want to build debian package for a library called fortranposix. The
> upstream source can be found at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortranposix
>
> This library depends on some kind of fortran 90 compiler being installed
> on the system. gfortran is the Fortran 90 compiler available in latest
> versions of gcc. Currently gfortran is available (on sid atleast) only
> through gcc-snapshot. However the description of gcc-snapshot
> specifically asks not to build packages against it.
>
> So now my questions are
>
> 1) How can I make sure that the user has gfortran installed on his system.
>
> 2) From reading
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html , I know
> that only package names can be listed as arguments to Build-Depends
> command. Is there any way I can list binary name (gfortran) instead of
> package name (gcc-snapshot) as dependency?

A proper gfortran package is available in experimental already and will
move to sid once sarge is released. Therefore, you can either hold back
your upload to sid, or consider uploading your package to experimental.
I'd suggest a Build-Depends line like 'gfortran-4.0 | fortran95-compiler',
unless your code has strict requirements on the compiler version used.

Regards,

Daniel.