how to write Build-depends argument for gfortran

Hi
My apologies if this is a newbie question. I searched in google for a while and could not find an answer to this.

I want to build debian package for a library called fortranposix. The upstream source can be found at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortranposix

This library depends on some kind of fortran 90 compiler being installed on the system. gfortran is the Fortran 90 compiler available in latest versions of gcc. Currently gfortran is available (on sid atleast) only through gcc-snapshot. However the description of gcc-snapshot specifically asks not to build packages against it.

So now my questions are

1) How can I make sure that the user has gfortran installed on his system.

2) From reading http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html , I know that only package names can be listed as arguments to Build-Depends command. Is there any way I can list binary name (gfortran) instead of package name (gcc-snapshot) as dependency?

Making dependency against gfortran has also the advantage that it works even if the user has compiled it by himself instead of going through the gcc-snapshot way.

Any solutions/work arounds are appreciated. At present, I would be happy if the solution works for sid. But if the solution is good for sarge then it is even better.

thanks in advance
raju