Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

Hi everybody,

Am Dienstag, den 31.05.2005, 11:54 -0700 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> In some cases, Ubuntu maintainers are not also Debian maintainers, and as
> such would require sponsorship in order to upload their packages to Debian.
> Ubuntu, on the other hand, imports all new source packages from Debian, so
> there's no problem in that direction.

I set up http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniverseNewPackages some time
ago, which intended to make it easier for Debian Developers to grab
existing source packages from Ubuntu and include them in Debian. As you
can see, it lists the package name, the location of the source package
and most importantly the maintainer in Ubuntu. I don't think the list is
complete yet, but I will try to make sure every maintainer lists his
added packages.

Ideally, both, the Debian maintainer and the Ubuntu maintainer should
work together and make it an absolutely rocking package with no flaws
and a perfectly crafted packaging system.

> At first glance, it would seem sensible for Ubuntu maintainers to file ITPs
> in order to avoid duplication of effort.  However, it's not clear to me how
> they should proceed once they have packaged the software and uploaded it to
> Ubuntu.  Ideally, they would be connected with a sponsor to upload the
> package to Debian, but this can't be a requirement

In my opinion the Debian maintainer, interested in a package should file
an ITP, since it's an adminstrative instrument used with in the Debian
developer community.

I don't know, if this is of any particular interest, but we try to avoid
collisions and duplicated effort, by having [1] and [2].

      * [1] lists user packaging requests, which have comments by some
        of our maintainers.
      * [2] lists already done packages, which are NEW to the world and
        not uploaded yet (they require 3 good reviews to be included).

We already had some cases where it took one maintainer a bit longer to
get the packaging done and somebody else, who was interested joined him
in his efforts quite harmonously.

[1] http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniverseCandidates
[2] http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/MOTUNewPackages

> > But I sure want to see good coordination between Ubuntu and Debian.
>
> As do we, of course.

As do I. I'd really love to see some interaction packaging-wise and I
hope the "NEW package in X" discussion leads to something. In my
understanding we're one big developer crew who definitely can share
efforts, work together more closely and learn from each other.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel