Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 19.17, Stephen Birch wrote:

> Still looks more like a fork than a derivative ..... or a spoon :-)

I have problems with your terminology - what do you mean by 'fork', and what
do you mean by 'derivative'?

To my understanding, Ubuntu is certainly a derivative of Debian (since it
derives most of its packaging from Debian), and it's a fork (since Debian
is not dead, and both projects are maintained.)  Passing of code between
branches of a fork is something that can happen - for example, the gcc/egcs
fork was originally announce that way: both branches would take code from
the other side.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
<Manoj> madduck: Umm, if you wanna hack at kernel-package in non-standard
    ways, you need to be one with the source