Re: proficiency-level tag for debian packages

El Martes 31 Mayo 2005 19:41, Mark Edgington escribió:
> Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I wonder if there
> should be a tag in debian packages indicating the a minimum proficiency
> level that a user should have in order for a package to be useful to the
> user.
>
> For example, a package like OpenOffice or Firefox are end-user
> applications which most users (even those completely unfamiliar with
> linux) would have a good chance at understanding and being able to use.
>   On the other hand, a package like nmap might not be something my
> Grandma would be wanting to use every day, and thus it might be better
> to have a higher proficiency-level rating for such a package.
>
> The motivation for such a thing is that it would make it possible for
> package-management tools to operate in an "easy" mode which would only
> display (or display in a separate category) packages which have a
> proficiency-rating < x.  This would be very handy in that it would
> permit using Debian and an apt frontend like synaptic to make it easy
> for more-or-less "computer-illiterate" people to install new packages
> which match their skill-level, without having to wade th
> rough hundreds
> of libraries and technical tools which they would never use.
>
> Perhaps there's a better way to accomplish this, but the ability to
> limit the display of packages in this manner is something that it seems
> would be beneficial to have.
>
> -Mark

I find it a quite interesting idea. If it was implemented, there should be an
scale, so that maintainers have some reference in order to tag their
packages.

Something similar to:
Firefox, OpenOffice, koffice, gxine - 100
Thunderbird, Kmail, Evolution - 95
Dia, Inkscape, Gimp,  - 90
konsole, gnome-terminal - 50
Libraries - 0

Of course, such scale should be further discussed and studied than my
fast-done one...

  Cesar