Re: bts ldap interface: future developments ...

hi andreas,

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:14:50PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> For that reason, I consider to drop the old entries from the main file,
> and stick them to a text file so that searches in the archived bugs take
> even longer than today, but all others would be really fast. The problem
> with that is of course that bugs change their DN on archiving.

i'm not convinced that changing the DN's for archived bugs is necessarily
a bad thing (i know it usually is frowned upon) though if that were to
happen, couldn't it be offloaded into a different base DN but still kept
within the gateway?

for example, say you have

ou=bugs,dc=debian,dc=org

adding a

ou=archived,ou=bugs,dc=debian,dc=org

and then changing the dn of bugs to point there would keep them out
of the main bugs bucket, which would get the speed boost for people
properly doing scope=one searches, and people who wanted to search
everything could do a scope=sub on the base dn.

> Opinions, further suggestions?

- what are you currently doing wrt indexing?
- what underlying db format are you using?

	sean