depending on shared libbfd from binutils-dev

The package description for binutils-dev says the following:

> package includes header files and static libraries necessary to build
> programs which use the GNU BFD library, which is part of binutils.
> Note that building Debian packages which depend on the shared libbfd
> is Not Allowed.

I see this in the binutils-dev package description, however I dont see
it anywhere else, not in the policy, not in lintian/linda checks, not
on any mailing lists.... I see a couple of people on debian-devel
asking (a couple years ago) what the deal is with this, but no
informative responses. Does anyone know *why* this is and why this
isn't documented somewhere more visible?

Thanks,
micah