Re: Debian Sarge

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 02:26:59PM +0200, Eddy Veenstra wrote:

> Dear Debian team,

For the future: this question and others like it would be better asked
on debian-user. Debian-devel is essentially a list for Debian developers
and others to discuss the development of Debian - including off-topic
flamewars as well, of course :)

> For several years I used Debian 2.2R5 'potato' and was a happy user. In the meantime I've tried on that system Xfree 4.2 (download version), but it wasn't an easy task to get it properly installed. So I went back to my 'good-old' 2.2R5 and decided to wait until Debian would come with a distribution that had XFree 4.2.
>
> I've tested Mandrake 10.1 community and Suze 9.2 on my new PC ( AMD 3500+). On both distribution almost all hardware was detected and the proper drivers installed, except for my wireless network card (RT2500) which had to be done manually. Even my TV-card was recognized and installed.
>
> What I don't like about Mandrake and Suze is that they decide which packages are to be installed; they do a lot behind my back and that's what I don't like.
>
> Now I've downloaded Debian Sarge DVD-version with jigdo and that was a big improvement for downloading. The installation was in the old fashioned Debian way, so that was not a problem.

That's good to hear. The new Debian installer is at least more
straightforward than the 2.2 installer. One suggestion to everyone:
if things aren't detected initially, try restarting the installation
and using

expert26

which will ask you all the questions in the install - which may allow
you to pass parameters for modules and other things.

> The installation asked for my video-card (Nvidia GeForce 5700LE)and my monitor ( CTX S962 19" LCD ). I selected the correct driver (NV) and gave the horizontal and vertical frequencies ( 30-80 hor, 59-75 vert ) for my monitor. When the installation was finished, X was started in 800x600 mode. No higher resolutions were possible. In the GNome environment I couldn't find a way to tell the system about my graphics card, my monitor, or the resolutions I prefer.

Try

apt-get install x-window-system kde

as a start. If you have both GNOME and KDE installed, it seems to me
that GNOME is always started by default.  Use the session selector on
either GDM or KDM such that the first session you start up is KDE and
you'll start KDE afterwards, since the default is always to start the
last session used.

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86

will re-ask the questions for XFree86 configuration.

> So I ran xf86config to solve the problem. No success. Apparently GNome doesn't react to the changes I made with xf86config. But how can I tell GNome what card and monitor I have? I've tried all the items in the menu to find a way, but I had no success. I've done six installations now, and every time the same problems occur. The problems on all occasion are listed below.

Try the above.

> All kind of hardware wasn't detected:
>
> Printer: HP PSC 2355 on USB

Apt-get install hp-ijs ?? : what happens if you plug in / unplug the
printer - do you get any message on the screen?

> on-board sound card Realtek AC '97

You probably need various sound modules including ac97 included. KDE
uses alsa by default.

> Pinnacle TV card Pro

bt848 / bt878 modules, perhaps??

> Wireless networkcard RT2500

Not sure whether this is included by default but the driver is at least
open source.

> Modem Intel 536EP

No idea - is this actually a modem or a Windows HCF soft modem??

> Other thing I've found:
>
> Error message 'No CUPS-Server running'. Adding a printer gave no solution.

apt-get install hplip cupsys and the other dependencies.

> I Prefer KDE over GNome. But GNome is always installed. In 2.2R5 you could choose the Desktop manager(s). How can it be done in 3.1?
>
> My system:
>
> Mainboard: Asus A8V de luxe, AMD 3500+
>
> Graphic card NVidia GeForce 5700 LE
>
> Monitor CTX S962A
>
> hda: Quantum Fireball 6.2 Gb; Fat 32 Windows 98
>
> hdb: Seagate 20 Gb; hdb1: Ext3 root filesystem;   hdb2: Ext2;   hdb3: linux swap
>
> sda: Maxtor 200Gb. Sda1 ntsf WinXP;   sda2 ntsf;   sda3 Linux swap
>

> I hope you can solve some things for me.
>
> Regards,
Hope this helps,

Andy