Re: Is SZALAY Attila MIA?

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 12:19:50PM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> > At what point would it be appropriate to begin to actively maintain
> > syslog-ng?
>
> It's been 'only' a few months since nothing has been heard -- I've added
> your hint now to the MIA database for later followup, and will orphan
> when no reaction is forthcoming after a number of pings, so that you can
> take over.

Thanks, as I have mentioned a couple times to both the maintainer and
the co-maintainer, I would be happy to give syslog-ng the attention it
deserves, so when orphan time comes, let me know so I can do some work
on it. So that I might have an idea for planning my work-load, what
time frame are you talking about?

> For sarge, this is all just not relevant anyway, so there is no great
> hurry, and for urgent stuff one can NMU. I'd typically suggest to just
> be a bit patient after making sure QA/MIA knows about it (I now know),
> to prevent cases of premature hijacking.

No, it is not important now for sarge, although I would have preferred
to get the more stable version into sarge before the freeze. I have
performed a NMU on syslog-ng to fix a security bug already. I sent
this message because I did not want to prematurely hijack. It is my
understanding that the process is to attempt to contact the maintainer
a couple times, then if no response, contact debian-devel to see if
anyone else knows. This is why I am here.

> Thanks for noticing and taking care for now of syslog-ng!

No problem, I noticed because I make heavy use of syslog-ng and there
are many bugs that I think can be easily fixed.

Micah