Re: RFC on mysql 4.1 in sarge

Quoting sean finney <seanius@debian.org>:

<SNIP>
so at this point, we're not sure what to do to cover this last problem,
as we have no guarantee the preinst of mysql-server-4.1 will even run
before mysql-server/woody is removed.  the only fix we can think of is
to remove the two directories from the files.list of the woody package.

so we've come up with three options, none of which are great:

<SNIP>

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. But, I think that if you create a package called mysql-server-4.1-upgrage (or something else suitable) and then
you make you make mysql-server-4.1 predepend on it, then
mysql-server-4.1-upgrade can check for the existence of the symlinks.  If the
symlinks exist, it can move them aside, create the requisite directories, and
then symlink in the new directories the contents of the directories pointed to
by the old symlinks.  This would at least ensure that people are not left with
only empty directories and a non-function DB.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr