Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> On Wednesday 11 May 2005 05:50, Goswin von Brederlow
> <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

>> > On fedora-devel Bill Nottingham suggested having /usr/lib vs /usr/lib64
>> > for programs that care about such things and /usr/libexec for programs
>> > that don't.

>> > Bill's idea seems to work in that case.  Although as you would need
>> > different names in /usr/bin it might make sense to just name the libexec
>> > files with the same extension as the file in /usr/bin that launches them.
>>
>> What about mips O32, N32, N64 abis?
>>
>> /lib, /lib32 and /lib64?

I just thought of something even worse: knetbsd-amd64.

- bsd 64 bit libs
- bsd 32 bit libs
- linux 64 bit libs
- linux 32 bit libs

Or does bsd amd64 not support all 4 of those?

> If you currently have /lib, /lib32, and /lib64 on MIPS then with Bill's idea
> those directories could be used for three different versions of Mozilla.
>
>> What about i386 knetbsd and linux?
>
> What is required there?

/usr/lib/i386-linux/ and /usr/lib/i386-knetbsd/.

>> The multiarch /arch-os/ path is already present in the toolchain for
>> many things including include files and libs and works for all cases
>> of multiarch in a clean way. The lib{,32,64} subdirs are different on
>> every arch, confusing and insuffient for the bsd case.
>
> Surely for every case in which multiple versions of binaries are needed we
> also need multiple versions of libs.  So having multiple /usr/lib directories
> should do.

Note that multiarch does not imply multiple versions of the same
binary though. So only the normal bin dirs we already have.

But different binaries for different archs might use the same
libraries and then those must be available for each arch. Since the
library name does not contain an unique arch-os pair different dirs
are a must. Like you say.

The question is just what do we name them. :)
The /lib, /lib64, /lib32 dirs used currently are a bit haphazzard and
can't cover all cases.

MfG
        Goswin